Top-Canvas

Kicks Analysis 2017

Kicks Analysis 2017

Breaking down the 2016 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament solely based on kicks.

  • Launching Kicks Analysis 2017 Last year, I was late with my 2016 Kicks Analysis with the Warriors of Hawaii making a run in the Dance. But in 2017, Hawaii’s done (although they did get to play in the postseason), so I have some time to launch this year’s Kicks Analysis – a little early but also a little incomplete. With the overall March Madness underway, I have to recognize Adidas for their team shoe lineups. Adidas has done a fantastic job outfitting teams with customized shoe models based on the Crazy Explosive, Dame 3, and Harden Vol 1. Check them out. In fact, I’m so enthralled by Adidas’ offerings that if my bracket is a winner, I made a kicks vow to get one of these team shoes (aiming for the Kansas Crazy Explosive Low). But that’s if these team kicks become publicly available. If not available, the general release version will have to suffice. Advertisements (function(g){g.__ATA.initAd({sectionId:10699611, width:300, ...
  • Kicks Analysis 2017 #1: Shoe Sponsorship The first kicks analysis of every Big Dance is the overall makeup of the dancing shoes, specifically who makes’em. My first kicks examination failed for several teams – North Dakota, Middle Tennessee, Dayton, NC Central, Vermont, Iona, and the play-in matchups. Obviously, I’ll have to update my charts after the first round when I get another look at the teams. So far, the 2017 breakdown looks like this. Nike’s numbers are significantly down from 2016, going from 62% to 53%, and Adidas took a five-point hit dropping behind Under Armour. Looks like Under Armour rode the success of the Curry line and sponsored more teams who found their way to the Dance. Again, things are going to be different after my info is finalized and that remaining 11% is properly allocated. The annual sponsorship chart doesn’t show a favorable trend for Nike, losing ground the past two years. Adidas surprisingly has been relatively flat. ...
  • Kicks Analysis 2017 #2: Conference Sponsorships Not much to say other than the powerhouse conferences have an affinity to Nike. The ACC has the most teams this year with eight followed by seven from the Big Ten.
  • Kicks Analysis 2017 #2a: Seed Sponsorship For 2017, Nike has majorities in 9 of the 16 seeded positions. Adidas has two (#13 and 15) while Under Armour has 3 (#8, 14, and 16). UA is not represented by teams in the top four seeds. Nike and UA are tied at the six and seven spots.
  • Kicks Analysis 2017 #3: Sweet 16 The sweetness of the sixteen teams still dancing look like this: Florida (4) Wisconsin (8) Baylor (3) South Carolina (7) Gonzaga (1) West Virginia (4) Arizona (2) Xavier (11) Kansas (1) Purdue (4) Oregon (3) Michigan (7) North Carolina (1) Butler (4) Kentucky (2) UCLA (3) Nike holds a dominant position with 12 of the 16 (75%). Adidas and UA both have two teams represented (12.5%), but Adidas has powerhouses, UCLA and Kansas, playing. I haven’t been impressed by any particular pair of kicks on-court thus far. So instead, I’ll give props to the Big West representatives, UC Davis and the bespeckled, hard working, Chima Moneke.
  • Kicks Analysis 2017 #4: Shoes of Champions I vowed that if my bracket won this year’s tournament then I would buy shoes from the popular Adidas basketball lineup. There are no losers in the current lineup of Crazy Explosives (low), Harden Vol. 1, and the Dame 3. Currently, Adidas adorns the remaining Kansas and UCLA squads. Lonzo balls in the Hardens. Oddly enough, I didn’t spot the special Jayhawks makeup of the Crazy Explosive in their matchup with Purdue. I did see a different color way and the unheralded CrazyLight Boost.   But the Dame 3 is really growing on me. The performance is there, and while its look is unconventional, there are color schemes that flat out work.
  • Kicks Analysis 2017 Kicks Analysis 2017 Breaking down the 2016 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament solely based on kicks.
  • Kicks Analysis 2017 #5: Elite 8 The odds, the percentages – forget them. It’s March Madness, baby! All shoe brands are still in it with Nike having 75% of the Elite 8. UA and Adidas each have one team repping their brand. Seed: Team, Shoe 11: Xavier, Nike 1: Gonzaga, Nike 3: Oregon, Nike 1: Kansas, Adidas 7: South Carolina, Under Armour 4: Florida, Nike 2: Kentucky, Nike 1: North Carolina, Nike This percentage breakdown mimics that of 2016.
  • Kicks Analysis 2017 #7: The Finals It’s over… from a kicks point of view anyways. Nike has another championship locked down with North Carolina and Gonzaga playing in the finals. Starting out, Nike had a 59% chance for one of its teams to win it all. Under Armour and Adidas were close to each other at 19% and 22% respectively. For the Sweet Sixteen, Nike’s odds increased to 75%, and Adidas and UA were at 12.5% each. In the Elite 8, Nike maintained its 75% mark meaning Adidas and Under Armour again had 12.5%. The Final Four featured three Nike teams, again 75% of the teams, with only Under Armour remaining. Now with the Bulldogs battling the Tar Heels, Nike has a 100% chance of winning. On Monday, it’s Jordans versus LeBrons, Kobes, Kyries, and KDs.
  • Kicks Analysis 2017 #8: The Champ Too much Jordan. Has to be, but in any case, North Carolina barely outlasted Gonzaga in the Finals of 2017 Men’s NCAA basketball season. It was tight until the end before that 9-2 burst by the Tarheels did in the Bulldogs. Of course, I was rooting for the underdog since the Gonzaga basketball program has yet to win a National Championship, but how can you fault the “opposing” team for wearing the Cool Gray colorway of the Air Jordan 11? Going back to 1999, the kicks title looks like this: 1999 Connecticut (Nike) 2000 Michigan State (Reebok Answers) 2001 Duke (Nike) 2002 Maryland (Nike Shox Stunners) 2003 Syracuse (Nike Shox) 2004 Connecticut (Nike Lebron Zoom Generation and Air Force Operates) 2005 North Carolina (Nike Retro Jordan X) 2006 Florida (Nike) 2007 Florida (Nike) 2008 Kansas (Adidas) 2009 North Carolina (Nike) 2010 Duke (Nike) 2011 Connecticut (Nike) 2012 Kentucky (Nike) 2013 Louisville (Adidas) 2014 Connecticut (Nike Kobe 8 or Venomenon) 2015 Duke (Nike) 2016 Villanova (Nike Kyrie 2) 2017 North Carolina (Nike/Jordan) That’s ...
Advertisements
Comments are closed.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by WooThemes